Friday, May 24, 2013

URGENT MESSAGE - The Ilze Halliday Foundation

URGENT MESSAGE - The Ilze Halliday Foundation




HELP MOKGWANENG.......my friend Dorette Nel visited the facility today. Here's what she said:
(Please take a few minutes to read this through....if you can help, well, you know the drill...contact me IMMEDIATELY! Thank you)

Dear all

I write in English to avoid having to repeat myself...

Today I visited a new facility in a rural area 113 kms from Pretoria that we are going to pack Santa Shoeboxes for.

The pre-school (Gr 0) has 38 kids and a teacher and that's about all.

Two small rooms with NOTHING but bare walls, a cement floor, 8 donated blankets to sit on and one gas plate (set up on floor) to make the kids' daily porridge and a small table overloaded with everything that needs to be kept out of the way.

No educational toys, NO BOOKS, no puzzles, one shoebox with about 60 crayons to share and a few small, exercise books that kids have filled with scribbles...
No colouring in books, no toys, no blackboard, no small tables or chairs, no shelves, no posters or paint on the walls...
No kitchen cabinet, no cupboard, no balls, no... well you get the picture.

A hole in the back yard serves as a toilet. And a tap under a tree provides running water.
The little money they get from parents who can pay, they use to feed the kids (many of whom are orphans, or come from families that live in dire conditions)

I attach a few photos to give you an idea.

And so I appeal to you to PLEASE go through your kids' stuff, use your contacts, open your hearts and help me help the brave teacher who tries her best.

I will pick up whatever you can spare and aim to go there for Mandela Day to upgrade the place. You are welcome to join me.

The youth is this country's future. And I don't mean the youth who go to private schools. I mean these little kids.
If we make a difference to them today, they will make a difference tomorrow

WISHLIST (second hand is fine):
blackboard
Bookshelf
books
toys
puzzles
stationary (crayons / paint / colouring in books / pencils / sharpeners / erasers)
blankets
mats to sit / sleep on
any second hand storage space / cupboard
kitchen cabinet
kitchen utensils
wall paint
hooks for clothes
wash basin / sink (I can have it installed)
roof for toilet
playground equipment
educational posters for walls
desk & chairs
table for kitchen
filing cabinet
lockers for kids
trampoline
bikes
balls / basketball hoop
soccer nets
etc etc

No comments:

Post a Comment