Saturday, February 1, 2014

February is 'donate a toy-month'



http://theilzehallidayfoundation.weebly.com/1/post/2014/02/february-is-toy-month.html

Toys are the main focus of this month's donations request. Many toy stores have post-Christmas sales....some toys marked down to less than 70% of the Christmas price (have a look at Reggie's and ToysRUs...I'm NOT lying...it really is that cheap!) If you have the time, pay these stores a visit and have a look for yourself. 
Second hand toys will also be welcome, so if you are spring cleaning your kids' toy chests, please contact me before you throw anything away. Some toys can be salvaged, you know. 
Once again I will keep the toys in my office until I've found suitable homes for it (you will be kept well informed if and when I hand it over to a facility). If I don't find homes for it now, it will be kept safe until September/October for the annual Santa Shoebox drive. Whatever may happen, your donation will eventually find its way into the hands of a child or children who will appreciate it very much.

You will remember that last month I asked for stationery. I received just one such donation from the lovely Tanya Pegram of Faerie Glen, Pretoria (once again I thank you, dear Tanya). I still require donations in this regard, so keep it in mind and keep the pens, pencils, crayons, rulers erasers, etc coming.

Many people have this idea that, if they donate something, it has to be a HUGE, notable donation. Surprise, ALL DONATIONS ARE NOTABLE AND WORTHY and, perhaps more important, NEEDED...ALWAYS! I've been thinking about this and realised that if every person on my Facebook Friend's list and each follower on Twitter (about 450 people in all) give me one item every month of the year I'll be able to fill450 shoeboxes with all the required items for Santa Shoebox. I will therefore be able to help 450 children (2 medium sized facilities). Furthermore, if each one of those people donate just R1-00 towards my cause every month, I'll be able to buy 9, 7.5kg bags of potatoes and 9 bags of maize meal to feed children at 9 different facilities...do you see what I'm getting at? Every little bit counts and will make some kind of difference in someone's life. Think about that.

You may also think that giving to big organizations means more than helping my little, insignificant foundation....you may be right. Those organizations are very powerful, some of them have been doing this work for a very long time....they are experienced, have many staff members working towards all their different goals and have celebrities speaking for them and their influence reaches far and wide to every corner of the world. This is something I don't have...I don't even know any celebrities and I stand alone in this foundation...I don't have a single volunteer helping me...but then I think that charity starts at home. We should take care of the people around us, the people we see on our own streets in our own neighbourhoods...and those of us that have the means, also owns the key to power....power to make a difference in another life. It doesn't matter how small our act of kindness seem....the point is, you've made the decision to BE kind. That does count for something.

So, if you should consider donating this month; toys, educational supplies, whatever...do not hesitate to contact me immediately.

*** Click here for contact details.
*** Click here for account details.

Have any comments? Click here.

I thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment